Pay attention: Make sure you back up your system before proceeding. In case of a problem, you can restore a working version of Windows.
6. Removal of the Invention from Autodesk
Normally Autodesk Inventor can cause problems with the File Explorer when installed on a Windows 10 operating system. Therefore, uninstall this application and restart your Windows device.
If you don’t know how to uninstall programs and applications on Windows 10, take a look at this useful article.
We can also recommend this list of uninstallers for Windows 10 devices to completely and securely uninstall applications or programs.
7. Update of the operating system
Go to Settings > Updates and Security > Check for updates.
Freezing the file explorer can also be caused by outdated versions of the operating system and outdated drivers. You can solve this problem in minutes by installing the latest Windows updates and driver versions.
The quickest way is to do it with Windows Update. If you are unable to access the configuration application, please review this article to resolve the issue quickly.
Problems updating Windows? Solve the problem as soon as possible using this manual.
8. Disable background image slide show
Many Windows 10 users have confirmed that disabling the background slide show has solved the problem.
Every time the background/theme colors changed, there was a jump in CPU usage, causing the file explorer to crash and crash. After using a static background image, the problem no longer arises.
So if you’ve turned on the slideshow in the background, try turning it off to see if the file explorer keeps crashing.
Go to Settings > Personalization > select Background > Disable Slideshow.
9. Starting system maintenance Troubleshooting
- From the Start menu > System Maintenance type > select View Computer Status and Troubleshoot.
- Select Maintenance
- Scroll down and navigate to Troubleshooting.
- Go to System and Security > Select Perform maintenance tasks.
- A new window will appear where you can solve problems on your PC and prevent future problems under Windows.
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to repair your computer and solve the file explorer freeze problem.
If you’re looking for the best PC maintenance software currently available, check out this list of our best choices.
Microsoft’s System Maintenance Troubleshooter is a powerful tool for finding and cleaning up unused files and shortcuts and performing maintenance tasks.
10. Hiding hidden files and folders
- From the list of results, go to Start > Enter File Management Options > Select File Management Options. File ExplorerSettings
- Click the View tab > select Don’t show hidden files, folders, or drives.
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes.
In Windows 10, you can hide certain files and folders so that not all users can access them. In rare cases, enabling the option to view hidden files and folders may cause the file explorer to freeze and unexpectedly crash.
10. DeepL Disable file access and preview
- Open the File Explorer options as described in step 9.
- Select the General tab > Set up Open File Manager on this PC. File ExplorerSettings
- Uncheck the Show recently used files checkbox in the access options of DeepL, and uncheck the Show frequently used folders checkbox in the access options of DeepL.
- Click on the Delete button to also delete the history.
- Click the View tab > Clear the Show window managers checkbox in the preview window > click Apply and OK to save the new settings.
- Clear the preview window by opening the file explorer and pressing Alt + P.
No more problems with the file explorer. Repair them all with this comprehensive guide!
These are our troubleshooting methods when the file explorer stops creating a new folder.
Let us know which one worked for you. Use the Comment section.
FAQ: More information about thefile explorer
- What else can cause the file explorer to freeze?
In addition to local causes, faulty and incorrect Windows updates can, under certain circumstances, also cause the Explorer to freeze.
- When was the file explorer first introduced?
The first version of the File Explorer browser was introduced with Windows 95.
- What is the favorites window in Windows 10 File Explorer?
The Favorites window in Windows 10 is a customizable list of frequently visited files and folders that the operating system organizes for easy access.
Do you still have a problem? Fix them with these tools:
This software corrects common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware errors, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance.
Troubleshoot PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download this much appreciated PC recovery tool from TrustPilot.com (you can download it from this page).
- Click the Start scan button to scan for Windows issues that may cause PC problems.
- Click on Restore All to solve problems related to patented technologies (exclusive discount for our readers).
- Restoro has been downloaded by 0 players this month.
Editor’s comments : This article was originally published in January 2015 and revised and updated in December 2020 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
explorer crashes when renaming folder,windows 10 create new folder slow,file explorer freezing fix,windows 10 file explorer crashing,windows file explorer not responding,how to check file system on windows 10,windows 10 explorer freezing,windows 10 cannot create new folder,right click then hang,windows 10 file explorer hangs on right click,windows 10 right click desktop new freezes,file explorer windows 10 not responding,windows explorer freezing windows 7,file explorer freezes windows 10,windows explorer hangs intermittently,windows 7 explorer keeps locking up,file explorer keeps freezing windows 8,windows 10 explorer crash loop,windows 10 explorer crashing 2019,file manager keeps crashing android,windows explorer keeps freezing,windows explorer keeps crashing windows 10,clear windows explorer history,file explorer keeps crashing when minimized,windows 10 file explorer freezes when creating new folder,windows explorer freezes when renaming files,file explorer keeps freezing windows 10,how to reset file explorer windows 10,windows explorer crashes when renaming files,windows explorer hangs on right click